We analysed Expedia’s organic performance, and identified car hire was an under-performing category with strong potential for growth. We agreed together to focus our efforts on how to improve this key product line, with technical SEO, on-site content production and link reputation.
Defining our goal
Following an analysis of Expedia’s key line of businesses, we identified car hire as an area with strong opportunity for the group, and set about forming a strategy to improve performance within this area.
With this we in mind we formed our objectives:
- Improve organic transactions from Expedia car hire products.
- Increase organic traffic for car hire content.
- Improve organic rankings for car hire content.
New process, new challenges
Our aim was to target people who were approaching their holidays, and providing them with inspirational content around driving holidays, encourage them to click through to the Expedia car hire content hub we developed.
- We analysed the marketplace vs key competitors to understand where the customer search demand was and identify 500 priority keyword targets.
- We updated 650 pages with improved on-page optimisation, around our top target keywords.
- We applied a further 90,000 new meta descriptions and 3,000 new title tags on-site and technical SEO recommendations within car hire.
- We built a targeted content hub and created 60 pieces of initial content in order to attract visitors at the awareness and consideration stages of the customer journey, generating targeted digital PR coverage with further monthly content now published.
1 – Re:signal & Expedia – UK Search Award Winners!
2 – Our Digital PR statistics
The Business Impact
We helped improve outcomes in two key areas:
- Traffic delivering an uplift of 37.8% in organic search traffic. Average Expedia categories have grown by 14% in YoY organic traffic. This means car hire has outperformed the rest of the site by 170%
- Rankings improved rankings for 1,721 keywords – across all 3,013 tracked car hire keywords, we have increased rankings by 5.8 positions since Jan 2017. All targeted around attracting potential car hire customers. In addition to this, our top target term “car hire” has increased from #8 to #3 in Google UK.