Our monthly bookclub began back in 2016, and to get the ball rolling we put together a list of must-read books for content marketers. We have revamped our list for 2017 with a whole host of new, informative books! You can find them all listed below.
Originally, we started the BlueGlass bookclub to build up our office library. Anyone can buy a book they’d like to read and share with the team once they’ve read it. This has been a great way to embrace one of our core values of learning. Every new starter in our team gets a Kindle, and our staff are encouraged to borrow any of our titles to expand their knowledge in their own time.
The only problem is, there are so many great marketing and business books out there, it’s impossible to read them all! With that in mind, we’ve taken the best recommendations from our team and built a list of essential books for content marketers:
- The New Rules of Marketing & PR — Offers a wealth of insight into reaching customers directly through emerging channels such as mobile apps, online video and more.
- Originals: How Non-Conformists Change the World — A guide to the inception and development of new ideas that challenge the norm.
- Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade — An exploration of the psychology of influence and how to get to ‘yes’ by setting the stage correctly beforehand.
- Killing Marketing: How Innovative Companies are Turning Marketing Cost Into Profit — Dives into how companies are reimagining traditional marketing practices in favour of a new and innovative model.
- Hug Your Haters : How to Embrace Complaints & Keep Your Customers — Practical guidance on why customers complain and how to evaluate and address them in a positive way.
- Start With Why — It’s so easy to get carried away with cool ideas, but going back to ‘WHY’ can help you to make sure your ideas are focused on the messages people really want to hear.
- They Ask You Answer — A straightforward guide to fixing your marketing strategy through honest, transparent content that answers customers’ questions.
- Creativity, Inc — Fascinating insight from Ed Catmull into how Pixar’s story-telling and the brain trust, which quality controls and ensures that each movie can be a big hit.
- How to Think Like Leonardo Da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day – An inspiring guide to exploring the true power of your brain.
- Thinking Fast and Slow – Understanding how people make choices is crucial in order to create content which resonates with them.
- Purple Cow – If you want to stand out from the crowd, there’s no better advice on how to be remarkable than Seth Godin’s!
- The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks & Win Your Inner Creative Battles – A wonderful read to inspire you into creativity.
- Flow: The Psychology of Happiness – The classic work on happiness, answering the question: what are the inner experiences that make life worthwhile?
- The One Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results – The power of focus is so important; no-one can do it all!
- Confessions of an Advertising Man – A blueprint for great ads, put together by the father of modern advertising, David Ogilvy.